Paleo Mexican Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Bowls (Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot)
Today I have a special treat: two recipes in one post! I love making one pot meals in my Instant Pot, and I truly believe there is some correlation between less clean-up and a better tasting meal. 😀
You should add this super easy and super tasty one pot zesty lime chicken with mexican cauliflower rice to your menu. Cooked in the Instant Pot, this dish is a breeze to put together. I made it over the weekend while Whitney was gone, so Warner and I happily had this dish for multiple meals. This paleo one pot meal doubles as a #mealprep as well- especially when you make bone broth afterwards with the chicken carcass. (What? Bonus recipe!) While traditional rice is eliminated on the paleo diet, I think you will find this cauliflower rice is a excellent substitution.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/4 lime juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the dry seasonings together to make a rub. (Save some back for the cauliflower and to mix in the shredded chicken later).
- Pat your thawed whole chicken dry. Rub about 1/4 of the spice blend into the skin of the chicken.
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to the Instant Pot. Set the Instant Pot to Saute.
- When the oil is hot- carefully brown the chicken on all sides. (I use Instant Pot mitts and kitchen tongs).
- Remove the chicken, and add 1/4 lime juice and 1/2 cup water to the Instant Pot.
- Using your wooden spoon, scrape any chicken bits stuck the the bottom of the pan off.
- Add the trivet to the Instant Pot, and place your chicken on it.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual- and adjust the time to # of pounds X 6 plus 2. So, my chicken was just over 5 lbs, so I set my timer for 32 minutes. Make sure the vent is set to sealing.
- When time is up, wait for the pin to drop using the natural release method, and move on to the rice.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, finish the chicken, by removing the skin, and cutting the meat off of the bone. Place the meat in a bowl, and use two forks to shred it. It should fall easily off the bone. Mix another 1/3 of your seasoning mix, and 1/4 cup saved cooking liquid- to taste. I added another dash of lime juice.. because I like things zesty. 😀
Mexican Cauliflower Rice:
- Break your cauliflower into medium sized chunks. I like to get mine started by slamming it stem down on the counter. Seriously- give it a try!
- Remove your cooked chicken from the Instant Pot- take about a 1/4 of the juice out for the shredded chicken – but leave the the rest of the juice and trivet in it.
- Add your cauliflower chunks to the Instant Pot
- Place the lid on, set the valve to sealing. Set the time to Manual – 0 minutes. When time is up, use the quick release method.
- Remove the cauliflower, and carefully pour the liquid into a bowl and set aside for making bone broth.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil to the Instant Pot and set to Saute.
- When the oil is hot, add the cauliflower to the pot.
- Using your masher, break up the cauliflower as it sautes. It should be soft and break easily into small, rice pieces.
- Add 2 teaspoons mined garlic.
- Saute for about 7-8 minutes, until the cauliflower has a bit of nice brown to it.
- Add the remaining seasonings and tomato paste.
Now- extra special bonus: a THIRD recipe!
Pour the extra liquid into the Instant Pot. Add all the chicken bones, bits and skin. Add 1 onion- roughly chopped, a few carrots, and a couple stalks of celery. Add a bay leaf, 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar, and salt and pepper. Fill with water until the bones are covered- taking care the the liquid level is well below the max fill line. Put the lid on, valve set to sealing. Set in the Instant Pot to Manual- 120 minutes. Use the natural release method. strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer- and you have liquid bone broth gold! Discard all the bits, bones and veggies. You can drink a nice mug of broth in the morning (do not heat in the microwave!), or add it into dishes wherever it calls for chicken broth.
Garnish with fresh cilantro & green onions, serve with a nice green salad! This paleo shredded chicken in the instant pot is super versatile, you could make tacos, taco salads, even mexican quiche. Or, you can enjoy it as a paleo mexican chicken and rice bowl (plate?)- like Warner and I did!