Instant Pot Sweet Potato Salad
(Mayo Free / Gluten Free / Primal / Sugar Free)
Now that I’ve made sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot, and hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot, I wanted to make Instant Pot Sweet Potato Salad. This is no ordinary Instant Pot Sweet Potato Salad. This Sweet Potato Salad has a super secret and delicious tip! (Keep reading…)
Best. Decision. Ever.
Honestly, this is so easy and amazing, I almost wanted to keep it a secret- so I could be the darling of summer get togethers and barbecues. When Whitney and I gobbled this whole batch down (with a side of Yellow Brick Berk Brats), I knew I had to share!
I love this recipe because it is ridiculously easy- but the flavor possibilities are endless! If you don’t like eggs- then leave them out! Or, if you are like us- pump up the egg + bacon ration! 😀 More or less mustard, spices, triple the bacon perhaps? It’s really up to your own personal tastes.
- 6 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Farm Fresh Eggs
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 Cup pickle juice
- 1 red onion- diced
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 8 oz Uncured Bacon (Yellow Brick Berk brand.. if you are lucky enough to find it!) – cooked and crumbled
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Parsley & Green Onion to garnish
- Spicy Homemade Jalepeno Relish (thanks to my father-in-law and his amazing home garden!)
- Scrub your sweet potatoes and cut off the ends and any bad / weird bits. Of course you can peel them if you are feeling adventurous (I was not).
- Cut the sweets into 1 inch cubes.
- Place the steamer basket into the Instant Pot, and, here is my really great tip: pour in 1 cup pickle juice!
- Add the sweet potatoes to the basket.
- Nestle the eggs on top of the sweet potato cubes.
- Place the Instant Pot lid on- make sure the value is set to “sealing”
- Set the Instant Pot for Manual – High – 4 minutes. (Seriously! Just 4 minutes- awesome right!?)
- If you haven’t already, cook your bacon- crumbling when cool enough to handle.
- When time is up, use the quick release method.
- Carefully, using a spoon or kitchen tongs, place the eggs in the ice bath.
- Using mitts- carefully put the sweets into your large mixing bowl.
- When cool, peel and dice your eggs- add to mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients.
- Carefully fold ingredients in- taking care not to smush the sweet potatoes.
- Garnish with parsley and green onion. (And spicy jalepeno relish!)
While I cook my hardboiled eggs in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes and wait 5 minutes before quick release- for this recipe 4 minutes is the perfect amount of cooking time. Any longer, and the potatoes will be too mushy. This eggs cooked perfectly however, I think it is because with the addition of the potatoes, it takes longer to get to pressure, and the potatoes add a bit of extra cooking heat.
For even better flavor- refrigerate overnight. Feel free to make your own substitutions, such as homemade mayo or THIS mayo from Primal Kitchen would be amazing. So simple, I think you are going to love making Sweet Potato and Egg Salad in the Instant Pot!